Many people were looking forward to seeing the Eagles’ first unofficial depth chart; unfortunately, few questions were answered. Here it is, straight from the team in their Patriots-Eagles press release:
QB: 1) Michael Vick/Nick Foles, 2) Matt Barkley, 3) Dennis Dixon, 4) GJ Kinne
RB: 1) LeSean McCoy, 2) Bryce Brown, 3) Chris Polk, 4) Felix Jones
WR1: 1) Riley Cooper, 2) Jason Avant, 3) Russell Shepard, 4) David Ball/Will Murphy
WR2: 1) DeSean Jackson, 2) Damaris Johnson, 3) Ifeanyi Momah/Greg Salas, 4) Arrelious Benn, Nick Miller
LT: 1) Jason Peters, 2) Matt Tobin, 3) Ed Wang
LG: 1) Evan Mathis, 2) Allen Barbre, 3) Matt Tenant, 4) Nate Menkin
C: 1) Jason Kelce, 2) Dallas Reynolds, 3) Julian Vandervelde
RG: 1) Todd Herremans, 2) Danny Watkins, 3) Matt Kopa
RT: 1) Lane Johnson, 2) Dennis Kelly, 3) Michael Bamiro, 4) Nic Purcell
TE1: 1) James Casey, 2) Zach Ertz, 3) Derek Carrier
TE2: 1) Brent Celek, 2) Clay Harbor, 3) Emil Igwenagu
LDE: 1) Cedric Thornton, 2) Clifton Geathers, 3) Joe Kruger
NT: 1) Isaac Sopoaga, 2) Bennie Logan, 3) Antonio Dixon, 4) Daryell Walker
RDE: 1) Fletcher Cox, 2) Vinny Curry, 3) Damion Square, 4) David King/Isaac Remington
LOLB: 1) Connor Barwin, 2) Brandon Graham, 3) Travis Long
LILB: 1) DeMeco Ryans, 2) Casey Matthews, 3) Emmanuel Acho
RILB: 1) Mychal Kendricks, 2) Jamar Chaney, 3) Jake Knott
ROLB: 1) Trent Cole, 2) Philip Hunt, 3) Chris McCoy, 4) Everette Brown
LCB: 1) Bradley Fletcher, 2) Brandon Boykin, 3) Brandon Hughes, 4) Eddie Whitley
RCB: 1) Cary Williams, 2) Curtis Marsh, 3) Trevard Lindley, 4) Jordan Poyer
SS: 1) Nate Allen, 2) Kenny Phillips, 3) David Sims, 4) Earl Wolff
FS: 1) Patrick Chung, 2) Kurt Coleman, 3) Colt Anderson
- Rookies that we thought could make a real impact, like Earl Wolff, Jordan Poyer, and Russell Shepard are buried in the depth chart. Interesting to see if this is just out of deference to the veterans or if Chip Kelly really sees these guys as low-level talents.
- Still no verdict at the quarterback position. A lot of people may be angry with Kelly for pulling what seems like a cop out by putting Vick and Foles together, but it is likely a representation of what is actually going on inside his head: there is no clear frontrunner right now.
- Anyone who’s been watching/paying attention to practices could have seen this, but it’s interesting to see it on paper: Cedric Thornton will likely start for the Eagles in his third year with the team.
- The Eagles will be running a lot of two-tight end sets this year, as evidenced by the fact that there are two starting positions for tight ends on the depth chart. Also, no fullbacks.
- Trent Cole has the early lead for the “Predator,” or WILL, position. Camp reports have suggested that he’s been more comfortable rushing from a stand-up position, and this depth chart just confirms it. It will be interesting to see if Brandon Graham can make up ground over the next month.
- Riley Cooper is listed as a starting wideout, yet another reason why the Eagles didn’t cut him straightaway. He’s too important to Kelly with Maclin out for the season.