Tonight the Flyers and former Islanders captain Mark Streit take on captain John Tavares and the division rival Islanders looking to get their first win streak of the season going after some early offensive struggles.
Here are some stats for the matchup…
|Goals For Average||1.44||3.20|
|Goals Against Average||2.78||2.90|
|Penalty Kill %||82.5%||86.7%|
|Shots For Average||27.6||28.5|
|Shots Against Average||31||31.2|
|Face Off %||47.6%||46.6%|
The Islanders have the Flyers beat in every category except the .2 shots per game more they are allowing, faceoff %, and Goals against average. On paper this is looking like a win for the Islanders, but there are a five things the Flyers have going for them.
- Lecavalier is back and looking good. he was one of the Flyers best players in Thursdays game against the Rangers. He has 46 points in 50 career games against the Islanders.
- Scott Hartnell will be back tonight to bring help to the Flyers offensive woes.
- Steve Mason still looks solid and can keep the Islanders under the 3 goals a game they are scoring.
- Last season Claude Giroux came into the first matchup with the Islanders on a seven- game goalless drought. He turned it on and put up two goals and an assist in the 7-0 blowout. In his career Giroux has more than a point per game average in 25 regular season matchups with the Islanders.
- The Flyers have momentum to carry from Thursday’s hard fought 2-1 win over the Rangers.
The Flyers should be able to pull through a win if Mason stands tall and Giroux and the rest of the offense can get going early on in the game.